CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, January 12

A Day in the life of Judge Judy.

Like 6 years ago I gave my brother the junker MC clunker. A 1982 Toyota Tercel, yellow in MINT condition. All the doors opened and closed, had handles and even still had AC.
I got a bill of sale. I cancelled the insurance and never though about it again.

Until I got a notice 2 years ago that the car had been towed and they wanted $800 dollars or they were going to sell it. Sell, I don't care it's not mine. I sent the bill of sale and again quit thinking about it.

Until I got a collection notice. And a summons to appear in small claims court.

I feel like I did what I should have done. I sold the car. I got a bill of sale. I cancelled the insurance. I have all the documents. A letter from the insurance company about cancelling it and having always maintained insurance. I was prepared to see the judge. It does not seem just, right or fair to have to pay for what someone else did 4 years after I sold it, well gave it away really.

So I waited. Darren took the afternoon off. We showed up at the court house and waited in the long long line to get through the metal detectors. And pat down. Past the sheriffs. Armed sheriffs. To the court room filled with people. Small claims court is full of interesting people. Today there are lots. They read your name out loud. So and so vs HEATHER AND DARREN. Nice. I wanted to defend myself to these people. It's not like I defaulted on a loan or failed to pay an obligation. We are normal regular law abiding people.
They force you to go to "mediation". Sit across from one another and politely disagree.
Back to the court room.
It's hot, really really hot. It's freezing outside and now they compensate by cooking the hell out of you. There are dumb rules that say no drinks allowed. I thought this would be quick. I didn't eat lunch, I wanted to go out with darren afterwards.

They call the first case. It's two brothers, one suing the other for $7500 because he threw his stuff out of their mothers house when she moved into a care facility. They had restraining orders against one another and witnesses. The list begins, the judge wanting to know what added up to $7500.
An extension cord.
A set of tools.
Boxes of his clothes.
A guitar a witness said she saw in a free box in front of the house. She had on jeans and dirty white coat and messy unbrushed hair. She also smelled like a bar. Being pregnant your sensitive to smells. And she had lots. I'm getting warmer and warmer and it's already been 30 minuets. The estimated value so far is like $40.
$7500 is a long way away.
The next witness is supposed to testify to the fact that one dude threw away the other dudes food. Dude one claims there were mice droppings and holes in the food boxes. That's why he threw them away.
Because that is FOUL. I too would toss mouse poop covered food.
The witness has no teeth. He does not testify to throwing away food. He can't really say that he saw dude one throw anything away "per say". It is all very unclear and hard to understand, as he has NO TEETH and lisps quite a lot. Dude two starts getting really mad that he's not saying what he was supposed to say. He tells him that's not what you were supposed to say. Those two start arguing.
I told you what to say you idiot.
Sorry. I didn't remeber. What am I supposed to say? I am not an Idiot. f*&ck You.

Dude one is yelling across to dude two.
The judge is banging his gavel and slapping his hand on the desk. I feel like I am on reality TV. It's getting hotter.

Mattress, box spring, radio, all 10+ years old. So were at like $300. It's been an hour and 1/2. I'm sitting next to a child molester. There are two armed deputies that the judge called in because they are being unruly and yelling over each other. Standing up, shouting. They smell very very bad. Like a bar and cigarettes. I think two of the witnesses are homeless. There are at least 4 more cases ahead of us. I am certain the child molester sitting RIGHT next to me is looking at my belly and having impure thoughts about my unborn baby.
It's really really hot.
The sheriffs are going to have to shoot someone.
Someone is going to lung over me and nail me in the belly, then the sheriff will accidentally shoot me. I am going to die in a really hot smelly court room. I am not cut out for this. I want to cry. I don't feel safe between the sheriff with his hand on his gun and the child molester.
In the past when I've gone to the court house people have been nice to me. There are nice waiting areas with water coolers and moderate temperatures.
We've been sitting here for two hours.
There is no end in sight.
I really want to leave. Really Really want to leave. The toothless guy is asleep.

I am starting not care about what is just and fair and right. I whisper to Darren I want to just pay the nasty lady and leave. I don't care about the money. We go to the hallway and write her a check. Darren asks her how ofter the people from the other case help her win hers.

She says she comes to court twice a week and has never seen such craziness. This does not reassure me. At least the marble in the hallway is cool to lean against. I'm hot and thirsty and starving. And $800 dollars poorer.
I am FREE!
Moral of the story. If you sell a car, go to DMV and do a title transfer.

FOR the love of god, do a title transfer.

0 comments: