CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, September 28

In my underpants at my moms...

Lately I have been showing up announced at my moms. Sometimes I bring vegetables or coffee. Sometimes I call and pretend that I am near by and have something for Kia. Sometimes I just knock impatiently at the door juggling one or four kids.


Always I need something. 

This struck me today and I happened to be in my underpants at my mom's house. She was sewing my shorts for me. And all the mending of my children's clothes that I don't know how to do. 

I used to wish like crazy that she would die too or instead of. I once even wondered if I dropped a lit match in the oil tank at our old house if it would blow up. I never had the heart to do it, thank goodness (lots of teenage angst).

I also realized how she is different. That used to embarrass me and now it just makes me smile. It's one of the ways she is just my mom. I asked her if she would come and have family pictures done with us and she said sure, it may be the last opportunity. That is an idea I no longer long for. It actually strikes fear in my heart. In the next breath she tells me she even has a new shirt to wear. Eight actually. Of the EXACT same shirt right down to the burnt orange color. 

They were on sale, naturally, for $2.50 and she thought how easy, buy 8, one for each day the week and extra just in case. Then she only has do laundry once a week and if she too busy, then no one know if shirt dirty. After all she alway wear same shirt no one wonder. It nice shirt. Have real button, nice color. I think to buy some for you too, but you too fat. No as fat from before, I proud of you but still too fat.

Then after an hour of announcing that I must leave I leave. I am no longer in my underpants, Beckett laughed and laughed as she played and I have three pairs of shorts that are freshly hemmed. My mom can do anything. I think my father died not because he was so great that he no longer had to live here, don't get me wrong he was TOTALLY awesome, but because I needed my mom more. 

I haven't know this for very long. But despite being called fat like 4 times today I am grateful and happy. 
I hope she comes to have her picture taken and odds are she'll have on an orange shirt.

3 comments:

Heather said...

Digs, you made me cry this morning. (Oh and that last picture you posted of me has me praying for a small bout of bulimia)

georgina said...

May these sweet moments last forever!

Anonymous said...

Nice post Heather. Happy birthday!
kate.